Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Utvik - Day Ten

I woke up to the smell of bacon and coffee...was I in paradise? Well, I was in Utvik...which is kinda like paradise...but even more so when Mom has all the fixings ready for you and is willing to prepare it for us too!

False alarm with the bacon, for my friends who love bacon as I do, it was so salty that I couldn't possibly take more than a couple bits! The problem shopping in Norway and not being able to translate the Norwegian to English...we bought what we thought was a whole piece of bacon that we would slice ourselves...kinda like back bacon but this was so salted it was ridiculous!!! Anti-climatic start to the day for me but the coffee was strong and really that's all I need for my morning kick start :)

We had about 15 visitors this morning...we were alerted to their presence by their morning chatter :)

 

So cute! There were several mommas and babies and they were grazing to their hearts content...what a life! Well only if you are raised for wool...or perhaps cheese...if your future is being a lamb chop...not so much ;)

 

 

 

It only took a little Baaaa Baaaa for us to open the lines of communication with them...I asked them to turn and look at me...obviously I am much better at speaking to the sheep then any of my attempts at Norwegian!

Barb, Nancy and I got dressed and ready to head to Byrkjelo (Bur-chew-lu) where the best bakery anywhere exists...or that's what we were told...so we ordered a Creme Cake...which is basically made from a feather light white cake, whipped cream, strawberries and a slight amount of custard. (So Nancy seems to think!) I said she needs to buy another cake this week to prove it to us that there is indeed custard in this...I ate mine so quickly that I can't be sure for certain...just sayin'

 

 

This is what the cake looked like before we ate it ALL...after dinner...but it was a great highlight of our day so I wanted to show it off for all of you right away!

 

Special afternoon for us today...our cousins came for a visit! Berit's daughters Synnove and Signe came along with Synnove's adorable sons Adam and Benjamin...I wrote about them in one of my earlier posts. Today we met Signe, she is such a lovely lady! She is sporting a fashionable cast as she broke her leg in TWO places playing football...one of the reasons I am against exerting myself...insert tiny chuckle here.

 

 

Here's Benjamin! When you bring out the camera Benjamin and Adam turn on the smiles...love it!!!

 

 

Enjoying today's beautiful weather and this fantastic deck...

 

Adam is concentrating on his puzzle...lots of pieces but he's saving the bits that were still connected from the last time it was built!

 

 

This has been a typical snack or lunch for us here...sampling so many different cheeses...I am in paradise...

 

 

One of the best days so far for a clear view and gorgeous blue backdrop to the surrounding area...

 

 

Can you imagine the sounds of rushing water...this stream runs right between our home and the house next door where Kursten and Kjell live...it actually branches out from two streams up high down into one...

 

 

This is our view to the left when we are on our deck...we can't really translate the beauty of this area in photos...everything seems like art to my eye...I wish I could paint :)

 

 

Mom was busy preparing a beef tenderloin for an early dinner with everyone...it was delicious of course! We certainly are not starving here...the meals have been regular and plentiful...major work required when I get home...but for now I am enjoying all the food and drinks :)

 

 

 

After dinner and dessert we enjoyed a tour of the 'museum' our hosts gave us of the building next door. Kursten and Kjell have been collecting and preserving many items from the original family that lived here and their own parents and childhood. They have space below our house than has been converted to a replica of the previous owners living area and the space in the building next door has also been presented that way. It is actually included in historic tours of the area as well as Kursten's bakery/store next to our house. Here's some shots of their 'museum'...

 

 

 

 

 

The boys were very interested in the old books and Adam was busy reading and telling Nancy what the name of each item in the book were...Benjamin was following along too!

 

 

 

 

Such a great snapshot of the local history right in our backyard! We are very lucky to be staying at such a great place with such great hosts too! Mom really found a gem here in Utvik!

Adam was collecting these stones/clay bits...not really sure which they are...he left them behind for us to enjoy :)

 

It was time to say goodbye to our lovely cousins, we are so thrilled that they were able to come for the afternoon and we were able to spend more time getting to chat and know them better! We can't wait to show them around when they come to Canada to visit us!!! hint hint :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment