Thursday, July 17, 2014

Selje - Day Seventeen Part 1

We are on our last day here in Selje...thankfully the weather has been perfect so this morning's rain sprinkles haven't been terrible and I was ready for a break from the heat...we are all packed up and going to go to the Selje Church with Else and Berit.

The Selje Church and graveyard is where my Grandmother was baptized and where my Great-Great Grandmother and Great-Great Grandfather were married and are now buried. Also my Great-Great Grandfather's father is also buried here! Amazing!

Everything in the church is made from wood...beautiful finishing...the wood pews and each of them with 'gates'...very gorgeous look...I wish we had churches like that at home...it really looks like everyone is together or as one...I'm not sure of the history behind it but am curious to find out...


Having the pulpit up high is fantastic too...for those of you that attend church or mass...depending on where you sit, you can't see the Minister/Priest...I like to be able to sit where I can see them personally so this is a great concept...maybe too old fashioned for today's day...I assume they want to be on the 'same level' literally and figuratively...

Here's the organ way up in the second level...everything here is wood also...very simple yet lovely!

The donations box, secured to the church and locked up tight (above) and this photo below is of their heating under each pew...

These boat houses run up both sides of the church as it is located right on the waters edge...

Here is the grave marker for my Great-Great Grandmother Marthe Olsdatter Fure...
and my Great-Great-Great Grandfather Hans Kristofferen Fure.....
Both father and son share the same grave site...
My Great-Great Grandfather Christoffer Hansen Fure


This is the marker of my Great-Great Aunt Entse Jonsdtr Lisaeth Fure...

So this is where it starts to get confusing for me...these markers are for Entse Fure and Ole Fure...they are my great-grandmother's sister and brother in law...so my Great-Aunt and Uncle...right??!

Quite a few family from here huh? I've been trying to load these posts for two days now...so I've split them in two parts and will try it this way...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment