Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Utvik - Day Nine

Well, we were up and out this morning, Mom and I left for the 'Coop Prix' or the local grocery store here to get some more items for the next 4 dinners. Our hosts' had also mentioned a great bakery for us to visit so we started there...the breads are fabulous here...they have a different flour and the loaves of bread are so soft...I can't even describe it...just awesome...that's all I got for you ;)

We couldn't resist a coffee and treat for breakfast seeing as we hadn't had anything first thing this morning...there's nothing wrong with this kinda breakfast right?!!! I think it does count as a grain and dairy...so there!

 

 

Like I had mentioned before, meats and chickens are more difficult to find in abundance here...pork is definitely the protein of choice...we can only ever see a couple containers of chicken to purchase at one time in the stores we stop into...and beef is very expensive...most fish is frozen or salted/cured. You can find entire filets of Lox...which we quite enjoy with cream cheese, onion and capers on a bagel usually :) Mmmm

After asking my cousin Else, she has mentioned that many people eat fish mainly...obviously due to their access to it :) Which works well for us too seeing as we all love to eat fish as well. Interestingly, most of the fish is found frozen though...I guess the stores don't have the demand for fresh meats and fish OR perhaps it's just the way it is...not entirely sure :)

We headed into Stryn today to pick Else up at the bus depot...we had invited our cousins to come and stay with us while we have this place so we can visit and relax all together...so much easier with the house sleeping eight people and we can prepare our own meals too.

The car drive from Utvik to Stryn is about 45 minutes...pretty good roads but we did encounter several areas that were very narrow...only room for one car at a time...or very slow passing...most locals drive like a bat outta hell here...they are obviously super comfortable with the roads! I was passed several times today, even while I was driving 80km in a 60km zone...it was still just too slow for them! Remember that these roads are super narrow too, and windy...so passing would normally be something most of us would elect NOT to do along most of these roads...just sayin'

Mom and I worked on some dinner tonight with what we originally thought was uncooked ham...but it was actually a nice pork roast...add some carrots and peas, a salad and some new potatoes with sauteed leeks and we had a great meal! I actually feel a little inspired for mealtime once I get home...shhh...don't tell my family, wouldn't want to get their hopes up!

 

 

Cheers to you, off to bed in the middle of midnight daylight! Still not getting used to this daylight nighttime...so grateful for Dad's stash of sleeping pills he tucked into Mom's bag before she left...little blue pills...at least I think they are sleeping pills, Nancy hasn't gotten any extra snuggles at night as my roommate so I'm going to assume they are sleeping pills! wink, wink

 

No comments:

Post a Comment