Friday, July 4, 2014

Oslo - Day Five

Rise and Shine! We got up at 6AM so we could grab the train from Oslo to Bergen...it was a 7 hour train ride that left at 8AM...so we packed up the night before so we only needed to grab breakfast and then get on the road!

 

 

Mom had reserved a Class B ticket for the train ride...so we just needed to find out which cars were for that...we started by sitting in one section but later found out it was a 'family' car that parents reserve with children...there was a great little play place in that car...

So after grabbing our suitcases and lugging them through the aisles a couple cars down...Mom asked one of the staff and he told us to sit in any of the seats in Car 4 seats 12-20...I guess he looked it up and knew those ones weren't reserved! It's a little confusing knowing what we should be doing seeing as we don't speak or read the language.

 

 

Check out my lunch on the train...so thrilled to get a Pepsi, you can't even imagine :) and the microwavable pizza was strangely satisfying too! Just goes to show you what tastes good when you are hungry !!!!

 

 

I wasn't really able to snap many photos on the train because we were going so fast but we did slow down near stations or stop completely so I took advantage of that where I could...this station stop below was very nice and quite old too...so well taken care of...

 

 

Once we finally arrived in Bergen, it was a little challenging to catch a cab...we grabbed two cabs as getting a larger taxi clearly wasn't going to be an option! Just a short drive to our next Thon Hotel which was perfectly situated in the downtown core, perfect for shopping and dining...everything is walkable!

We were groggy and ready for some fresh air and a walk...just a fast check in and drop off of our luggage and to see our rooms...they are very cute rooms, love the colour combo, very cheery! Mom and I had a trio room so Nancy is our bunkmate for the night :)

 

 

We wanted to go and find a pub for a beer...I also wanted to find a Pandora store or jewelry store that sold them at least...one quick stroll and we saw the Pandora store...bought the Viking charm, he's cute.

After a 30 second look around, found a couple bars and pubs...but then I noticed a brick building and some steps going down...looked like one of those dark and mysterious places so I suggested we check that one out. I was super cozy. Turns out it was a British fellow running it and Nancy suggested we try a White Beer. I've never had one and it was nice and fresh and fruity...or at least that's how I'd describe it :) Definitely will be trying to find more back in Canada.

 

 

 

 

The restaurant was recommended by the hotel staff...it was a seafood place called the Unicorn. The Norwegian name was much longer and the buildings down at the waterfront are very old and all crooked! Literally they are leaning against each other and inside the restaurant the walls were very obviously crooked too! Sloped floors and walls...kind of unnerving sitting in a crooked house...made you think if one of them went down they all would seeing as they are all leaning against each other!!!

 

 

 

 

I decided to try their Bacaleo. It wasn't the same as I had in Oslo...I preferred this version so far the best...I think I might just try any of the ones I see in my travels through Norway, just for an interesting comparison. It had more of a oil and tomato base compared to the other dish I had in Oslo which was clearly more like a tomato sauce. Nancy picked a lovely Pouilly-Fume which went perfectly with all our seafood dishes...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everything was delicious, we all especially loved the potatoes...the seasoning was fantastic and I had a starter salad which was pictured first above...amazing!

By the time I'd had dinner and a couple drinks, I was ready to go to bed! The beds so far suck...way too soft...think I'll sleep on the floor tonight if this next bed is as soft as the rest of them are!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment